New Yoga Teacher Training Diploma
Accredited by ITEC
Training starts September 2018 and runs for ten months. Learn postures, breathing techniques, meditation & mindfulness, anatomy & physiology, yoga philosophy, yoga types & styles and much more.
The benefits of a yoga teacher training go far beyond a teaching qualification and the aim of my training course is to give you the resources to greatly improve your quality of life & health. Not only will you qualify as a teacher but you will also gain an invaluable deeper mental, physical, emotional and spiritual awareness & development for yourself and in your life.
Learn how to manage a business and set up your own practice. Also learn how to work for others in health and fitness approaches. Learn the anatomy of yoga from the physical to the emotional level. Study Yoga philosophy and understand asana, pranayama, mudra, bandha, kriyas and much more.
- Fully recognized qualification
- Learn all aspects of yoga teaching
- Eligible to work in gyms and spas
- Learn health and safety
- Learn anatomy and physiology
- Learn client care
When: One weekend a month starting in Sept 2018.
Where: Galway Cultural Institute, Salthill, Galway (map)
Time: One Year Course, 10 weekends, 200 hours. Internationally accredited training with ITEC.
In this course we start at the beginning so we learn how to understand the physical body, the muscles and organs, how to work with them, manipulate them to enable them to heal. The approach stems strongly from a sports injury and nutritionist health perspective. Then as we heal the body we move to the breath and the mind and work with meditation and relaxation so that we can fully connect to the body. From this place we are then in a position to look at what is this body and what is this mind, we will explore this philosophy mainly through the yogic ideas & texts, but will consider philosophy as a whole and are open to all ideas and suggestions from participants in the course. We have the approach that all experience is valid and respected as it is.
Through discovery & experiential training you will learn principles of alignment, class sequencing, working with injuries and energy, modifying yoga postures to address an individual’s needs and teaching private, beginning and intermediate classes. You will increase your bodies flexibility, endurance and strength, both physically and mentally!
Yoga comes from the sanskrit word Yug and means union between mind, body and spirit
- Previous yoga and meditation experience of a minimum of six months to two years depending on the person, their practice and background.
Course requirements. You will be expected to:
- Learn from the weekends notes and answer questions the following weekend
- Take at least one yoga class a week for the duration of the training. This can be an online class or suitable personal practice
- Try different styles of yoga to broaden your understanding and awareness as part of your training.
- Maintain some form of meditation practice and to gain a deeper understanding of meditation and breath in your own time.
- Read certain books as part of your training.
- Your own classes, yoga materials (we have our own that you can borrow when at the training) and books
What you get out of the course:
- Yoga is a system of physical, mental and spiritual development
- A recognised qualification for a 200 hour yoga training
- A foundation on which trainee teachers can develop and evolve their physical, mental and spiritual well-being
- A deepened understanding & knowledge of Yoga
- The knowledge, skills and attitude to teach Yoga safely, confidently and professionally
- Become a Yoga Teacher who by taking responsibility for their own physical, mental and spiritual health are true teachers of the ancient system of Yoga
How to Apply
- Fill in the online application form (see button at bottom of the page).
- You will be contacted within 10 working days to arrange a meeting
- Once you are accepted you need to confirm your attendance on the course with a €500 deposit and notify us of your fee payment plan.
- Upon receipt of the deposit you will receive your ‘Acceptance Letter’ which includes details of the course such as times, the book list and the initial work to be completed before we begin the first weekend.
Below are some of the teachers that will run workshops throughout the training, sharing their expertise. There may be some other guest speakers in particular in relation to the philosophy aspect of yoga.
- Anatomy of the postures
- How to develop into stretches from injury and scar tissue
- Flow Yoga
- Restorative yoga
- Yin Yoga
- If/How/When to touch and adjust students
- Modifying postures
- Protecting the neck and back
8 Week course Structure
- Easing into a course
- Hip Opening
- Standing poses
- Back Bending
- Sitting Forward Bends
- Balancing poses
- Chakra Class
Physiology of the body & organs
- Functions of the Stomach & Intestines (Digestion), Liver, lymph, Heart & Circulatory System and more
Diet, health and Ayurvedic knowledge
This includes an Ayurvedic approach to health along with western nutrition info, detoxes and cleanses, when to do them and when not. Also some different ailments that you will encounter as a teacher and how to work with them.
Meditation and Mindfulness
- How to meditate, different approaches to the practice
- Yoga Nidra, different techniques
- How to teach different techniques
- Breath Awareness
- The Natural Breath
- Sectional Breathing
- Full Yogic Breath
- Ujjayi Breathing
- Alternate Nostril Breathing
Other aspects of the course include:
- Mudras & Bandhas
- Philosophy of Yoga
- The 8 Limbs of Ashtanga yoga
- The four types of yoga – Jhana, Karma, Bakti, Raja
- The different styles of teaching – Ashtanga, Iyengar, Yin, Kundalini, Flow, Hatha, Sivananda
- Karma & Reincarnation
- The Chakra System
- The Bagavad gita
- Yoga sutras of Patanjali
- Yoga and religion
- The Three Bodies – Physical, Causal, Astral,
- The Three Gunas – Sattva, Rajas & Tamas
- The Three Levels of the mind
- Yamas, Niyamas,
- The Business side of Yoga
- Setting up and running your own practice.
- Teaching different levels
- Continuous assessment particularly regarding the anatomical structure of the body
- €50 interview fee (this will be deducted from the overall fee if you join the training)
- €500 non refundable deposit to secure the place
- Early Bird – €1950 if paid 2 weeks in advance of the training start date
- €2050 if Paid just at the beginning of the training
- There is an option to pay per month for the first six months of training, the first installment must be paid before the course commences
There will be an additional fee for an external examiner, likely about €125 to be confirmed by the examination body.
I am now taking bookings for September 2018.
Course Dates for this training 2018 – 2019:
Sept 29th & 30th
Oct 20th & 21st
Nov 10th & 11th
Dec 8th & 9th
Jan 12th & 13th
Feb 9th & 10th
Mar 9th & 10th
Apr 6th & 7th
May 4th & 5th
June 1st & 2nd
Times each of these weekends are:
Saturday 9am – 7:30pm
Sunday 9am – 6:30pm
While these times seem very intense, I have found that this suits people best and the majority of the hours are enjoyable and interesting and there is plenty of rest time while practicing meditation. We also have ample breaks throughout the day.
For details on Optimum Health Policies click here
See also: Yoga Training & Professional Sports